11:23am    March 22, 2018

5 Must-Do’s for Mobilizing Your Business Website for SEO

Written by Gannett Client Strategy Team

You already know search engine optimization (SEO) is crucial to maximizing the number of potential leads to your bunsiness’ website. But did you you know that SEO for mobile is even more critical in order to be successful in today’s marketplace?

Consider this:

  • According to comScore, U.S. users are spending 60% of their time consuming digital media through mobile applications and mobile web browsing. Desk-top digital media consumption is now the minority making up the remaining 40% .
  • Google reported further evidence of increasing mobile adoption by consumers: 50% of consumers using a smart phone visit a store within a day of their local search and 18% of local searches lead to in store sales. 

So how do you optize your website for mobile search?  Follow these five tips.

Tip #1: Increase the Speed Your Pages Load

Page loading speed is even more important to mobile users. Use PNG format for graphics and JPEG file format for photos.  Optimize the speed at which these images load by compressing them with Photoshop. Use a software application for file compression to reduce the size of CSS, HTML, and JavaScript files larger than 150 bytes.

Tip #2: Get Rid of Redirects

The more redirects to another page on your website visitors need to click to answer their search query, the more time it will take for each link’s HTTP request-response to return and thus the greater the chances your site visitor will bounce and move on to a competitor’s site.

Tip #3: Use Pithy Titles and Metadescriptions

Mobile devices have less screen space to display SERP results, so it’s important to be concise. Try to keep titles under 55 characters. Be sure the title is relavent to your web page’s content. A good place to begin is reseaching which keyword phrases are searched witihin your bunsiness segment and how competitive they are. One tool availables for keyword research is Google Keyword Planner.

Metadescriptions are a explaination of the contents of a webapge and display  beneath the title. Keep metadescriptions to less than 160 charaters to avoid having them trucated. Being concise will also boost the chance of social sharing of your webpage.

Example SERP listing:

Tip #4: OptimizeYour Site for Local Search

59% of consumers are  using mobile phones each month to find local businesess. Standardize your business name, address address and contact number including you city and state location in your website’s metadata. This will help search engines determine whether your site is locally relavant and should be displayeed in the SERP.

Tip #5: Avoid Pop-Ups

Not only are pop-up frustrating to mobile users seeking an answer to their query but they can be difficult to close on a mobile device. Both of these issues could lead to a higher bounce rate for your site.

This list is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of best practices for mobile SEO.  There are more improvements your can make to your business’ mobile site based on your unique situation. However these five tips are a great way to start SEO for your mobile website.

Interested in learning what else you can do?  Give us a shout.  You can reach us at here or call 602-444-4920 to connect.  We’d love to help.

References: ComScore: U.S. Mobile Report August 21, 2014. Think With Google: Understanding Consumers Local Search Search Behavior, May 2014. Mobile SEO in 2015: Everything You Need to Know, 2015. SEO MOZ Inc.: Page Speed, 2015; Title Tage, 2015. MDG Advertising: Infographic: Local Search Evolved, 2015.

SEO